4 simple tips to beat stress
Stress can affect your health in more ways than one. It can hide behind weight gain and insomnia, among other issues. Here are some simple tips to beat stress and help you lead a healthier life.
1. Choose a meaningful symbol
Choose an object that represents your positive energy, tranquility, or a victory.
- Make sure you can see it throughout the day, for example by putting it on your work desk.
- Most of the time, it doesn’t take much to regain a positive attitude on which you can grow and move forward.
- This object can be a simple seashell picked up during a beautiful day at the beach or a small object symbolizing your faith.
- In difficult times, hold, touch or look at this object, concentrating on what it means to you.
2. Inspiration on the fridge
Post a photo of someone who inspires you on the fridge or bathroom mirror.
- People who have succeeded despite the odds are a great reminder that where there is a will, there is a way.
- The reminder of your hero’s image will be an instant motivator as you brush your hair or cook.
3. Speak well of yourself
Don’t tell yourself anything that you wouldn’t tell someone else.
- Many of us are so used to being hard on ourselves that we don’t even notice it anymore.
- What do you say to yourself when your blood sugar level rises or you forget to take a medicine? Do you use constructive or demeaning words?
- To answer this question is to pose the following problem: “Would I speak thus to a friend?” If the answer is no, you’re probably lacking in self-compassion and not helping your cause.
- Think about what you would say to a friend to support and encourage them, and choose those words in your inner dialogue.
4. Take care of yourself every month
Treatments such as manicures, pedicures, massages and visits to the hairdresser boost self-esteem. Taking time for yourself at least once a month reinforces the idea that you are worth it.